Monday, January 19, 2015

Introduction

Hello blog-viewers,

My name is Lorentz Houser and I am excited to be publishing the journey of my senior research project. As a student at BASIS Scottsdale, I have the opportunity to pursue research during the third trimester of my senior year in high school. After meeting Laurie Johnson, a co-founder of ScrapZero, I chose to take part in starting her new company. The company aims to reduce food waste by simplifying the process of its management though composting. I will be working with my faculty advisor, T.J. Peacher, and my on-site mentor, Laurie Johnson, to improve our environment.

I can already see that this project will adventurous. From the first day on site, I spent a few hours with a shovel, digging dirt and carrying concrete to make room for urban gardens in Central Phoenix. Wearing my every-day clothes, I felt unprepared for this physical exertion; but, I appreciate the hands on experience with what is really going on behind the scenes.

After some hours of work, I talked with my on-site advisor to make sure that my role in the company still dealt with the integration of software into the real world–software that simplifies environmentally conscious behavior. Along with software, I will be working on advertising for the company through various other mediums.

Please read through my proposal to better understand what this project entails. As the ScrapZero is developing, so are new ideas for software. It is possible that the final software that I develop will differ from that described in my proposal. However, the current goals of the software will remain the same as that of the final product.

You can check out my SRP proposal by clicking on the link to the right.


Enjoy the updates,

Lorentz Houser

6 comments:

  1. "I can already see that this project will be adventurous" haha best line XD
    I'm excited to see how your work will turn out though, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorentz, your project sounds so interesting!
    Do you know if any current software exists that's designed to guide environmentally conscious behavior?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you find this project interesting! I am quite excited. As far as I know, there are some direct applications of computer science to environmental science. These include numerical computations for statistics. However, I have not hear of many mainstream applications that actually motivate behavior.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lorentz,

    Sounds like a very interesting subject. I hope you will end up doing either the kind of work you hoped for, or something totally unexpected that you really like!

    Just FYI, here is a project I heard about recently that uses technology to help people make environmentally friendly choices... http://conserve2enhance.org/AZWaterSentinels

    Best,

    Mr. Bloom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Bloom,

      Thank you for your input! I think I will enjoy whatever I end up doing.

      I appreciate the reference to the website and would also appreciate any further inspiration.

      Thank You,
      Lorentz Houser

      Delete
  4. Hi Lorentz,
    Great website, I love the idea as a whole and look forward to the final product. Again I tend to be a critique of websites and blogs. The design of your blog seems bland. The white space you provide between the end of the page and your text is great but you lack a background image. The background and contrast of colors allows less strain on the eyes of the reader. A simple black or red background can make your blog become exponentially better looking. I realize website deign may not seem like a pressing issue but I guarantee if you use some contrast color and background, your website will retain more readers.

    Sterling,
    Lutheran High School

    ReplyDelete