Saturday, February 28, 2015

Week 3

Hello Blog-Viewers,

Welcome to my third week of software development. This week, I began to focus on coding once again and plan to have my app finished by this Tuesday (an arbitrarily chosen date; however, I need to feel that I have accomplished something.) This week, I worked on making my app dynamic such that new information can be added to the app even after I have published the final version to the Apple App Store.

So I thought learning the Swift programming language would be enough for me to create the app. But it turns out, I need to know JavaScript and JSON to make the app dynamic. I spent some time learning these languages and applying some of what I already knew.

So here is an inside look into the code that I have written:
This is only a very small section of the code from this file. And there are many more files that I have written. Besides informing you of the work I have put into this, I wanted to show that all these language come together.

So essentially, the Swift code now imports data from a website that I have created every time the app opens. This allows me to update locations in the map  view and other data on the home screen. This is how the map to the right knows where to place the place marks. As you can see, I was only testing the code and that is why there are only three place marks. I am going to copy and paste the other locations soon.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry for my fundamental lack of knowledge on coding, but how do codes differ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essentially, there are different programming languages that have been produced for different uses. Each language is like a foreign language, having different rules and syntax.

      Delete
  2. I see a 'PrintLn' :D ah, Java memories.
    But yeah when making apps, Javascript tends to be one of the more useful languages. I can't wait to see your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pranav,
      Yes PrintLn does come from java, but it is also a part of Swift as well.

      Delete
  3. Is this app only going to be available for Apple products (since you mentioned uploading it to the Apple App Store), or are you just uploading that one first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at this point, I can only make the app available for Apple products. But hopefully I can find a way of easily converting the code to Java for android devices.

      Delete
  4. Hi, this is Noah from Lutheran High School in Parker Colorado, and I was wondering how wide of an area would this cover? Is it just local to your area or would it spread out as far as I am? Also, do you plan for a way to make the app dynamic in connecting to the internet and find new listing for these sites, or just hard code it all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noah,

      I want this app to cover all of the United States including Colorado. The app currently picks up data from a public file I uploaded to dropbox and retrieves the JSON data. This allows the app to be dynamic. If ever I find a new service that pops up somewhere, I can simply add a new element (service and location) to the array in that file. Each time the app opens, the data will be refreshed.

      Thank you for checking out my blog.

      Delete
  5. This is really cool! Can we see the website it directs to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Navya,
      Thanks. Anticlimactially, that website is the one there in the chrome browser. It's a simple plain text site that I created. I can updated the website in the future more easily than republishing the app. This makes the app more dynamic.

      Delete